Subject: ScreamerNet rendering
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 31 Mar 1996 01:36:12 -0800

on  Sat, 30 Mar 96 02:20 EST, Steve Soltz asked:

> I will be purchasing a Raptor with a ...
> 1. Will I be getting a pre-release version of Lightwave?

To the best of my knowledge, LW 4.0 final is shipping on all platforms. This
doesn't mean some careless or irreputable dealer (no such thing, I know :) )
wouldn't try to give you a pre-release copy anyway. Ask the dealer you're
getting it from; if he/she says it will be pre-release, ask why, and please
tell me about it ([email-masked]).

> 2. ... Also can I network (through SN or anything else) between
>  an Alpha NT machine and an Intel Pentium 166 using windows

You can ScreamerNet between ANY platforms with the following caveats:

1. You must own at least one copy of LightWave for each platform you want to
render on. This is because the ScreamerNet module that comes with a copy of
LW is specific to that platform. (i.e., the LWSN module that comes with Mips
LW will only work on other Mips machines.)

2. Be careful about plug-ins. If your animations use plug-ins which only work
on one of the plaforms you're rendering on, you will probably have problems.
(Anyone on the list with experience doing this care to comment?)

David Hibsher
Technical Writer, NewTek